Eggplant is a species of nightshade commonly known in British English as aubergine and also known as brinjal eggplant
, garden egg
, or guinea squash
. It bears a fruit of the same name that is widely used in cooking, most notably as an important ingredient in dishes such as moussaka
The raw fruit can have a somewhat bitter taste, but becomes tender when cooked and develops a rich, complex flavor. Many recipes advise salting, rinsing and draining of the sliced fruit, to soften it and to reduce the amount of fat absorbed during cooking, but mainly to remove the bitterness of the earlier cultivars.
Eggplants are prepared by many different dishes like Pizza
, With Curd
, Eggplant Pirogue
, Eggplant Parmigiana
, Eggplant Parmesan
they’re delicious in most avatars!
Health Benefits of Eggplant:
1. Nutritionally, eggplant is low in fat, protein, and carbohydrates
. It also contains relatively low amounts of most important vitamins and minerals
2. The iron, calcium and other minerals in eggplant supply the essential nutrients required by the body
3. Eggplants contain certain essential phyto nutrients which improve blood circulation and nourish the brain
4. They provide fiber
, which protects the digestive tract. In fact, regular intake of eggplants can protect you from colon cancer.
5. Eggplant is low in calories, with just 35 per cup. It contains no fat
and its high fiber content can help you feel full
6. For centuries, eggplants have been used for controlling and managing diabetes
. Modern research validates this role, thanks to the high fiber and low soluble carbohydrate content of the eggplant.
7. Eggplants have a role in heart care, too.
Research studies show they can lower ‘bad’ cholesterol. But you must cook them the right way to get these benefits.
8. Eggplants are high in bioflavonoids, which are known to control high blood pressure and relieve stress
. Regular consumption of eggplant helps prevent blood clots thanks again to Vitamin K and bioflavonoids
, which strengthen capillaries.
Read More at Wikipedia.
Recipes using Egg Plant see Here, Here