Fats and Oils
Fats and oils are composed of chains of molecules called fatty acids that are composed mainly of carbon atoms.
They are high energy foods, providing about 9 calories per gram of fat. This is more than twice the energy content of sugars and starches.
Fats and oils are of similar chemical structure but differ physically in that at ordinary temperatures,fats are solids and oils are liquids.
Fats and oils are needed for your brain and nervous system, for energy production and for making most of the body’s vital hormones.fats and oils are also essential for transporting all vitamins, minerals and hormones in and out of every one of the body cells.
Sources of high quality FATS and OILS
- Meats - Excellent sources of quality fats and oils include hormone-free and preferably grass-fed meats.
- Fish - Oily fish such as sardines contain a lot of the omega-3 fatty acids. These are needed by almost everyone today.
- Dairy sources - These include whole milk fat, fat in cheeses, butter, cream and Eggs Dairy fats are excellent if they are raw, and not pasteurized or homogenized.
- Grains and bean oils - These include corn oil, wheat germ oil, rice germ oil, peanut oil, soybean oil.
- Nut and seed oils - Nuts such as walnuts, pecans, almonds and brazil nuts contain good quality oils.
Read more about Fats and Oils