Masoor dal is probably the most commonly used Daal in India. It is basically the split lentil without skin and is red in color. It does not need soaking prior to cooking as it is a "soft" Daal and cooks quickly. When cooked , Masoor dal turns a soft golden color. With 26% protein, lentils have the third-highest level of protein, by weight, of any plant-based food after soybeans and hemp. Masoor dal is an important part of the diet in many parts of the world, especially in the Indian subcontinent which has large vegetarian population. The seeds have a short cooking time (especially for small varieties with the husk removed, such as the common red lentil) and a distinctive earthy flavorCulinary Uses
- Use masoor to make dhal, the classic Indian dish. Usually, they are boiled to a stew-like consistency with vegetables and then seasoned with a mixture of spices to make many side dishes, which are usually served over rice or with rotis.
- Masoor dal are used to prepare an inexpensive and nutritious soup all over Europe and North and South America, sometimes combined with some form of chicken or pork.
- They are frequently combined with rice, which has a similar cooking time to prepare khichdi.
- Red Lentil Hummus on Sesame Crispbread , red lentil and coconut soup, red lentils salad seasoned with cumin and smoked paprika are other few recipe
- Purée cooked masoor dal with your favorite herbs and spices and serve as a side dish.
- Recipes like Masla masoor, Lehsuni masoor , dal gosht or boiled masoor stuffed paranthas and poories are also quite popular.
1. Masoor dal contain high levels of proteins, including the essential amino acids isoleucine and lysine, and are an essential source of inexpensive protein in many parts of the world for those who adhere to a vegetarian diet or cannot afford meat
2. Apart from a high level of proteins, masoor dal also contain dietary fiber, Folate, vitamin B1, and mineralsall with virtually no fat.
3. Masoor dal are rich in fiber but lesser than the percentage present in whole and husked dals.4.They are a good source of potassium and iron.