Northern rock sole
The Northern rock sole, Lepidopsetta polyxystra, is a flatfish. It is a demersal fish that lives on sand, mud and gravel bottoms at depths of up to 700 metres 2,300 ft, though it is most commonly found between 62 and 807 ft. Its native habitat is the temperate waters of the northern Pacific, from Puget Sound to Alaska, the Aleutian Islands and across the Bering Sea to the Kuril Islands and the Sea of Okhotsk. Males grow up to 27 in in length, whilst females can reach 19 in. The maximum recorded lifespan is 18 years.Flavor Profile:
A white flounder with moderate flavor, and tender, flakey texture. Methods of Preparation:Microwaving
– The fish fillets are dipped in flavored mixture and then microwaved on high for about 3 to 4 minutes until they become crispy.Baking
– The baking tray is lined with spicy mixture and then topped with fish fillets. The fish fillets are further topped with cheese and breadcrumbs and baked in the conventional oven until the fillets become crispy.Broiling
– The fish fillets are simply dredged in salt-pepper mixture and then placed on broiler plate. The fillets are broiled until they become flaky and opaque.Poaching
– The fish fillets are cooked in a spicy poaching liquid for about 4 to 10 minutes until they become flakey.Sautéeng
- The rock sole fillets are sautéed with vegetables and served as a side dish for rice.Steaming
– The fish fillets are steamed by wrapping in an aluminum foil or leaves over boiling water.Deep frying
– This is the most common preparation method utilized for cooking this fish. The fish fillets are deeply fried in some suitable vegetable oil after dipping in a spicy batter.
Variations of Rock Sole RecipeBaked Sole
– This dish can be served as a snack and it is prepared using ingredients like sole, vegetable oil, lemon juice, and rolled over breadcrumbs prior to baking. The dish is topped with paprika and parmesan cheese prior to serving. Stuffed Sole
– This is snack dish prepared by sandwiching the sole fillets with shrimp – vegetable mixture. The sandwiched fillets are then baked until crispy. The choice of vegetables purely depends on the taste preferences of individual. The stuffed sole is served with Newburg Sauce. Nutrition:Each 6 oz serving of rock sole delivers 151 calories, with 32 grams of protein, 1.7 grams of fat, and 137 mg of sodium.
Read More About Northern Rock Sole